You may have noticed by now that we really love eating food out of bowls. For this reason, one of our favorite cookbooks is Bowl and Spoon by Sprouted Kitchen, which is full of – you guessed it! – recipes for bowls. This recipe is from that book.
Sprouted Kitchen is our go-to for healthy recipes with extremely tasty dressings and sauces. She’s especially talented at finding dressings that trick Kelly into eating kale. She just nails the dressing on this one, a tangy mustard vinaigrette that makes lacinato kale nearly irresistible.
She calls for roasting the cherry tomatoes, but in the summer we say “nah” to this and leave them raw. Maybe we’ll do this in the fall or winter when we’re looking for more reasons to turn on the oven.
We add baked tofu (and optional lentils) to up the protein.
Makes 6 serves.
- 2 cups quinoa, dry (red quinoa will make this pretty, but plain yellow quinoa is fine)
- 4 cups of corn (about 3-4 ears of fresh corn)
- cherry tomatoes, quartered (yellow is pretty, but red is fine)
- one bunch of lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped into small strips
- one bunch chopped cilantro
- crumbled or finely diced feta cheese
- baked tofu, diced into small cubes
- pine nuts (toast them in a pan or oven if you can be bothered)
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Dressing (has been doubled from the original):
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard (we used grain mustard and it was fine)
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (substitute: 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 tbsp lemon juice)
- freshly ground pepper
Cook the quinoa using a 1-to-1.5 ratio of quinoa to water (in this case, 2 cups dry quinoa to 3 cups of water). Bring the water and quinoa to a boil, then turn down to simmer and cook until water is absorbed (about 20 minutes, or check package instructions).
If using fresh corn, shuck and boil the corn in a large pot or wide saucepan for 5 minutes, covered, then turn off heat and let steam, covered, for at least 5 minutes more. Remove the corn from the pot and rinse under cold water until cool enough to handle. Cut corn off the cobs.
While the quinoa and corn are cooking, prepare the other ingredients (cherry tomatoes, kale, cilantro, feta, and tofu).
Make the dressing: In a small to medium sized bowl, combine dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
Serve quinoa, kale, corn and toppings into bowls. Drizzle dressing over the bowl to taste. Add salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy!